Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pharmaceutical Sponsored Dinner Talks

I just got back from a "drug dinner". It was actually a mandatory department meeting held at a nice restaurant and sponsored by a drug company. There was a pretty good speaker actually who gave a talk that was not focused on the drug... those are the better talks... medically relevant info that is evidence based and not necessarily focused on a particular drug...

Now as I was trying to recall the company that sponsored the meeting and the product that is advertised on the pen they handed out... I could not. So does that mean that the marketing method didn't work on me?

2 comments:

Richard Neill said...

Of course it doesn't matter if you remember the company or product. What matters is that you received a dinner. And when humans are given gifts (of any type) they are inclined to reciprocate. This is one of the core principles of influence. Read here for a more complete explanation. See especially the 'six weapons'. You need to know when you're being attacked with them.

And stop going to drug dinners.

I'm watching...

ellhwang said...

Haha. I was wondering if you were going to read this blog! This was actually a mandatory department meeting set by the hospital. My being credentialed there depended on attending these kind of meetings (twice a year I think). I thought it was interesting that it was sponsored by pharma.